Hello Jell-O! Since my Kylie Cosmetics matte liquid lipstick review, (HERE) I’ve been really curious about Colourpop”s Ultra Matte Liquid Lipsticks, even more so when I was hearing and reading that both have a lot of things in common. However, for this review, I won’t delve much on their comparisons because there will be a separate review for that, hopefully soon. For now, let’s talk about Colourpop Ultra Matte Lip and focus on the swatches and formulations.
For being an affordable liquid lipstick, Colourpop Ultra Matte Lip delivers much more than that. It’s packed with super-strong pigments and it wont’t fail. It has the most pigment I’ve seen in a matte liquid lipstick, and yes, even slightly more pigmented than Kylie’s. It dries immediately and once it settles, it’s almost there for good. It’s takes quite an effort to remove it because it definitely won’t budge. And for that, I think it deserves some praises.
While it’s definitely nice to see a good quality and affordable lipstick, it also comes with a few letdowns. Since it’s highly pigmented, it’s also very drying and it feels kinda heavy on the lips. It’s difficult to remove and once it’s removed, your lips are gonna look raw. With me, for example, after swatching all the Colourpop Ultra Matte Lipsticks that I got, my lips were red and flaking, like I rubbed them on an asphalt, LOL! Also, the colors that I picked were mostly supposed to be on the wearable neutral-mauve tones, and they did looked like it on the tubes, but once applied and settled, they tend to be very muted and quite dull in tone.
- Beeper: Warm Mid-tone Taupe. One of the nicest shade in this selection, simply because it’s wearable and it didn’t transform into a very muted dull shade. Also, it matches well with medium skin tones.
- Trap: Dusty Greyed Out Beige. Simply put it, Grey + Beige = Greige. Interesting shade and one of Colourpop’s bestseller, but it didn’t work for me. I was really excited to try it, but apparently the shade doesn’t work for a medium skin tone. I ended up looking like I was running out of oxygen. 🙂
- Tulle: Dusty Mauve Burgundy. Pretty vampy muted-red shade. This works quite well on my skin tone despite the fact that it’s a bit too dark. It’s extremely pigmented and is great for a nighttime look.
- Viper: Dusty Rose. Gorgeous muted-mauve shade. I thought I wasn’t gonna like this before actually trying it, but now this is my most favorite shade of all the colors reviewed here. So wearable and perfect for winter.
- Lumiere 2: Nude Light-Mauve Shade. I really liked this at the beginning but it dried down to a slightly grey-purple/violet shade that looked too muted on me. A little more flush of pink would have been nice.
Favorites: Beeper and Viper.
Dislikes: Trap and perhaps Lumiere 2.
I have mixed emotions for Colourpop Ultra Matte Lip. I love its long lasting formulation, its affordable price and some wearable colors. It’s a bit too drying for me and the colors tend to transform into having some dull undertones. Still, I consider these as outstanding given its quality and its price.
For sneak peeks, follow me on instagram: @reviewsandotherstuff